After visiting the uber cool Digitaria boutique, in Soho, I cant help but come to wonder, is it all just copying?
I know I'm harping on about the Leigh Bowery thing, but I'm a huge fan and have been for sometime. That was the very thing that drew me in to Digitaria. The clothes with his signature black eyes and red lips, outragousness of it all. I refereed to it as a shrine.
But after researching Scottee the performance artist who has a creative role in Digitaria, I have discovered that he is basically just a Leigh Bowery wannabe. He dresses like him, promotes himself like him, and performs like him. take a look

Here he is in one of his performances giving birth to 'hare lipped still born judy Garland'
which is accompanied by a vert amusing poem. But Leigh did something very similar 20 years ago. Its hardly modern art, it's just down right copying.
(this is one of many copy cat thing he does on his blog)

I think that if I hadn't discovered Scottee as a fake, Digitaria would probably be my favorite shop, but now i feel like when I go in I'm just looking at everything thinking "copied" "copied" "fake" "fake" Maybe I just don't understand the real ethos of the shop, but I think that they have crossed the line between homage and just making money off of someone else's genius. It's sad because I wanted to like it so much.

No comments:
Post a Comment