


I recently visited The museum of everything, on the corner of Regent's Park Road and Sharples Hall Street, Primrose Hill, London. The museum of everything is unique in the way it displays artwork of the untrained, You wont find any priceless masterpieces created by some famous artist, only really interesting, quirky pieces, created by someone who just likes sitting in their room and being creative, for fun. And fun it was.
I was intrigued by the name as I found it quite difficult to find, and wondered to myself, how could this museum possibly have everything in it when its so small that I cant even find it? Anyway I eventually found the quirky, handmade looking entrance set back from Sharples Hall St. I was greeted by a man sat in a little kiosk adorned with little lights, he handed me a leaflet and pointed me in the direction of "everything", as opposed to the sign which read "nothing"(made me giggle.) I went up some little stairs and through a little door and came across a cove in which i saw a dozen, intricately made sculptures staring back at me. The ones which caught my eye where brightly coloured and made from little balls of fabric, fascinating.
The place is only small and everything seems to be squished in, which I liked about it, there is no wasted space. And there is an 'unfinishedness' about the place, like wires hanging out of walls and stuff, which adds to its charm. I found myself interacting with the work as each piece was either around a corner, through a whole in a wall or so high up that you had to to work to be able to see it.



The drawings where superb. some simple and childlike, others were obsessively drawn to the point where you needed a magnifying glass to see the detail (which were provided).
And most rooms were themed and even had appropriate music playing. In particular the room which was almost a religious shrine. The work featured was by Rev Howard Finster, Beautiful, naive, religious drawings which put a smile on my face, although some were quite scary.
In The museum of Everything, Everything had been thought about by the creators, and although small, it was a feast for the eyes and had Everything I needed to be truly inspired, and it it shows that anybody can create a piece of fantastic art, and that art doesn't have to be technically good, in fact sometimes the less perfect the better, it's more interesting that way.

No comments:
Post a Comment